Saturday, July 19, 2008

Thing 6: Mashups and Third Party Sites



23 Things continues to be an in-road to a whole new vocabulary. WIKIPEDIA's source of origin for mashup is cited as a pop music term. Well, I would like to go back at least 55 years and offer this older definition of mashup....... the sacred term used by all children at the table for the after-church-Sunday-fried chicken-meal: you take the last, and the most tasty, morsels of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, the puddles of butter and gravy, and whatever other bits and pieces one has guarded for that last sacred bite, and you MASHUP everything for that one last delicious bite ! Now that is a true mashup! And a 3rd Party?That was the nosey neighbor who listened in on your telephone conversation when one had crank telephones and party lines.


After reading about the general flavors of mashups, I got a roaring migraine! I understood the concept visually, but after wading through the quotes, types, architectural aspects, mashups versus portals, etc., I thought my eyes would be permanently crossed! I gladly bow to a 3rd Party via a public interface to mashups to their heart's desire. I had collected awesome pictures from Flickr and had made my mosaic, however, even with help, we could not get the mosaic to post properly. Moving right along....

And then there are trading cards, magazine covers, and mosaic applications...bingo! Wonderful tools for any and all elementary disciplines.

No comments: